Saturday 10 December 2016

How to photograph the sunset (or sunrise)


How to photograph the sunset (or sunrise)

How often do you see sunsets and sunrises on social media. All the time, nearly every day is the answer in my stream. In my opinion the splash of colour is nice, but its not enough, a sunset by itself is like having whiskey on the rocks with no whiskey. I always try to include some foreground interest to give the eye something to settle on and usually expose so that is a silhouette. At the same time I reduce the exposure of the sky by a stop or two with exposure compensation. Why? Because it makes the sky just that much more colourful and dramatic without any distracting bright patches and blowouts. Like any landscape I focus about 1/3 of the way into the scene and use a reasonable but not deep depth of field like f/6.3.

As always comments and discussion welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll be pleased to read your constructive comments and respond